Hi, How'dy, How are ya?

Welcome to "The Country Schoolmarm"! Get yourself a cup of coffee (I take mine strong with vanilla creamer), grab a seat, and chat a while! Isn't that what country friends do? Now, all we need is a porch...

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Taking the Challenge...

Karen, on My Colonial Home, posted the challenge to share about when you started your blog and why you started it.  Here ya go...

       I started my blog on August 14, 2012.  Yup. Last month! I chose the name "The Old Country Schoolmarm" because, well, that is what I am. I am a teacher.  I love the country.  Old? Well, that's relative.  Maybe middle-aged, but that doesn't sound nearly as cool. "The Middle-aged Country Schoolmarm".  For some reason, I think of knights jousting with pencils, but anyhow.  So, "Old" it is. To kids, you are always old anyway. Except to fifth graders.  They have learned the art of "schmoozing" to adults and not making wisecracks about their ages.  After all, it may be the fine line between an A and an F.  Just kidding.  Maybe an A and A-.  You can decide if I am kidding on that one.

     I started this because of reading others' lovely blogs, a desire for communication and fellowship, and as a creative outlet.  God said in the beginning that, "It is not good for man to be alone."  The Trinity realized the need for fellowship. God created Eve for Adam.  We, as humans, made in the image of the Creator, have a desire for fellowship.  I wanted to encourage that kind of fellowship in my own "neck of the woods".   I wanted to chat about the things I enjoyed- prims, crafting, bargain hunting... those kinds of things.  I wanted to find people who liked the same things and chat about them.  My circle of friends in my daily life has mostly been my family at home and my school family, all whom I love dearly.  Few of them (except my mom) like to decorate with and create prims. My dad has said multiple times, "Yuck!"  That is why he makes them, and I paint them. I don't show him the prim part. Seeing the beautiful craftsmanship and talent of the artists out there has been a joy to experience.  It is an inspiration to me to do more crafting myself and to take the plunge into selling on eBay.  I had put off both because I was afraid to put myself out there.

     Another reason for deciding to blog was to practice and hone my writing abilities.  I would like to write and publish fiction someday.  I have a piece that has been a "labor of love" now for a few years.  I had to do what I tell my students to do all of the time with their writing- practice.  Writers need to read also.  The blog took me on a journey I did not expect.  Reading others' blogs has been informative, entertaining, heartbreaking, joyful- a whole gamut of emotions.  Being a part of writers' lives, whether personal or professional, has been a joy and honor this summer. The circle of Christian fellowship has been such a blessing.

     To be honest, I didn't think that anyone would find and read my own blog. I read tips about creating a blog, and they said to keep it short because readers didn't have time to read lengthy diatribes and novelettes.  Well, that wasn't me. I appreciate all of you who take the time to read my words because they are many. For example, I was once asked to write an one hundred word grant letter.  It was 500 words by the time I was done.  Needless to say, I had a lot of revising to do.  So, when my first follower found me, I was in tears telling my husband, "Someone found me!  I have a follower!"  I cherished my first follower (and still do!). Christine from Preferably Prim, on the other side of the ocean, found me first.  I was satisfied and blessed with one person to have fellowship with because the fellowship was so sweet.  Others becoming part of this circle of fellowship has made it that much sweeter. Through their friendships, I have branched out and found more lovely people to visit and converse with. Blogging is like the roots of a tree that branch out further and further into nooks and crannies to gain nourishment.  Friendship is nourishment to the soul.

     So the summary for those of you with ADD or are short on time.  I started this blog because I am a teacher and an old-fashioned country gal who like to write, craft, and talk. I talk a lot.

Blessings!
Heather









17 comments:

  1. enjoyed reading your blog challenge. Karen had such a good idea. Maybe we will all learn more about one another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a wonderful idea! Way to go, Karen! I am loving learning more about other bloggers!!!! Thank you for taking the time to read mine! It is long, and I appreciate it!

      Blessings, Betty!

      Heather

      Delete
  2. Hi Heather,
    THANK YOU for joining in my challenge.
    I love your entire post...how fun! You made so many wonderful points.
    I have you added to the growing list!
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for doing this and helping us all get to know each other better. You are so kind and thoughtful to bring people together like this! I know, my list of blogs is getting wicked long! I had to adjust what was shown to make them all fit more easily! But it is all good!

      Thanks again!
      Blessings,
      Heather

      Delete
  3. I love the name of your blog! Thank you so much for visiting me this evening and for becoming a follower. I am following you now, and look forward to getting to know you better!! ~Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I see we have some things in common with music and movies. I love Carey Grant! I also love Myrna Loy and William Powell in the Thin Man series. Ever watch them? They are hilarious! I look forward to getting to know you better! I am enjoying your blog as well!

      Blessings,
      Heather

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you started blogging Heather! There is an invisible yet silken cord of friendship that has crossed the ocean and knit our hearts and lives. God's Grace is amazing!
    Keep persevering with the writing, Cordelia! Maybe someone will enter your fiction in the Rollings Reliable Baking Powder competition!!
    Have a wonderful week, dear friend!
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine,
      Only a dear, sweet, kindred spirit like Diana would suggest such a thing! I am currently working on "Rosamund's Revenge". But, I may not show it to you... Maybe Betty Crocker will get a hold of it... ;)

      My favorite scenes in the sequel:
      Diana and Anne getting ready for Diana's marriage to *gasp* - Fred Wright. And, when Anne gives it to Josie about the bride's maid comment, "That's 3 times a bride's maid, not 2. But then again, the only thing you have had to worry about wearing more than once is a sour expression. ". Wooooohooooo!

      You have a wonderful week as well! I will be checking in on you! It will be a bright spot to talk to an adult and dear friend!

      The Lady of Shalott

      Delete
  5. Hahahaha, keep it short? I wish. I always tell the husband I'm going to try and hurry, it will be a short post! He laughs at me. I love to use photos which usually makes mine long vs. words. I do enjoy reading your blog but it just seems I have so little time lately to catch up on everything. Have a great day!
    ~Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blog! It is an honor to meet people that are bravely serving our country! I love all of your creativity! I especially enjoy your posts about your Pinterest experiences!

      Thank you for taking the time in your busy schedule to stop by! I so appreciate it!

      Blessings,
      Heather

      Delete
  6. Although I don't always get a chance to comment,I enjoy your musing however long..smile..I remember my first few followers to.Now at over 400 I'm so glad to call so many friends.Warm Blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather thank you so much for sharing this! It is so interesting to get to know other bloggers! I am so so happy you started a blog, I am so so happy that we are getting to know each other. Stop by my blog sometime. Good luck on your school week this week. I can't wait to start reading posts about your schoolmarm moments.
    Be blessed,
    Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed reading about your journey! It is fun "meeting" new friends! Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is fun learning all about other bloggers.
    Lots of reminders in your post.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww... You all are so kind! Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! It means a lot! I am so enjoying getting to know you all better! I am so having fun reading the other stories and meeting new friends. I hope to be blogging soon. Oh, I have some "schoolmarm" moments alright. I just need to get through this week! :) Thank you for your care and encouragement!

    Blessings!!!!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  11. Morning Heather Shirley
    You are so fun.
    God is using you big. You are a true blessing.
    I wish you would have been my teacher.
    I love to blog for friendship,fellowship and to encourage others.
    God is good all the time.
    HUGS & JOY
    Trace


    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad I found your blog. I truly believe God connects people for a reason. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete

"Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." - Proverbs 16:24

Let's chat! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!