Hi, How'dy, How are ya?

Welcome to "The Country Schoolmarm"! Get yourself a cup of coffee (I take mine strong with vanilla creamer), grab a seat, and chat a while! Isn't that what country friends do? Now, all we need is a porch...

Friday, November 28, 2014

Ohhhh, Yeah!

    
     I don't do the Black Friday thing. Crowds, early hours, big screen tv's... Not my thing. Okay, so I should clarify. There is one Black Friday tradition I do each year. I roll out of bed around a little after 6 am (my normal everyday wake-up time), dress warmly, brew coffee, and drive 10 minutes to one of my favorite prim shops, Cocalico Creek Country Store.  The first 25 people get a $10 "gift card", and then early morning deals of 40% off one Christmas item and 15% off a regular item.  That is enough bait for me to roll out of bed and stand in line in the freezing cold.  

     Last year, I went wicked early, manned with coffee, my iPod with a season of NCIS, and LOTS of layers.  I got there at 6:15 am. Needless to say, I was the second person in line. And my backside froze from sitting on their curb.  A little over zealous. This year, I got there around 6:40 am (I panicked a little and thought I might be too late) and was still within the first 25. 

     I spent about an hour in the shop. You see, I am one of those shoppers who picks up things that catch my eye with reckless abandon. Then, the math area of my brain kicks in.  I start playing the barter game.  You know, "If I put this back, then I get these two things I like more.  But wait, do I really like those two things? Wait, what's that over THERE?! Squirrel." An hour later of walking around the store and putting 100 miles on my Uggs, and this is what I walked out with...




Primitive flocked tree... $60... 40% off... About $40! Love!


You know primitive people are a funny bunch. Brownish snow on a tree? Awesome.  Brownish REAL snow? Ew.


A year ago, they bought the antique store next door including her stock. They have marked down her antiques to 1/4 of what she was selling them for.  I have been cleaning out that inventory for them little by little over this year.  I got the chenille,little fleece dress, and four red woven napkins for the $10 store credit and 15% off of the chenille.  It is a rather big piece.... Mmmmmm...


A gathering of bird's nests for under $5.

     So, I feel like my cold nose and burnt tongue (drank my coffee a little too soon!) were well worth it.  I will show you how I use my goodies soon.  Right now, breakfast of leftover turkey and potato filling and pie.  I am not kidding. And a nap.  Yup.  

Happy Thanksgiving and warm blessings to you, dear friends! 
The Marm

5 comments:

  1. Oh yeah! You did bag some awesome bargains! LOVE the tree!
    And you looks suitaby well wrapped up against the cold! Sorry about the hot coffee!
    Can't wait to see what you do with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cute how you described your day....love the flocked tree!
    ~Happy Holidays~
    Earlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like so much fun. We did have a few calls to see if our shop was open today but for the most part it was a quiet day with the girls...Dianntha

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOoh..I really love that tree! Wish I could have joined you and shared a cup of java and browsed the store oohing and aahing! Glad you had fun dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, that would be my kind of black Friday shopping,,, visiting a prim shop, Trouble is we don't have any near by. Love that tree. I think you made a wonderful choice. Can't wait to see how you decorate with it. Have a blessed weekend.
    Angela

    ReplyDelete

"Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones." - Proverbs 16:24

Let's chat! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas!